There are many cases of intestinal diseases related to the consumption of drinking water, and health authorities warn.
A few months ago, I woke up one night with a terrible stomach ache. After a few days my whole family was the same. What had we got intoxicated with? It hadn’t been any food. It was the water. The simple tap water that contaminated us.
It has been very common for some years now to use filters in household taps. Running water contains in some areas particles that can be harmful to health, as well as diseases that are spread through viruses and bacteria.
Daily Mail warns in one of its articles about the large number of illnesses that are being reported due to drinking water. Specifically, new research suggests that tap water may contain a dangerous virus called norovirus, which primarily causes the condition called gastroenteritis.
The water that you should not drink …
Researchers from a University of Philadelphia conducted a study in which they were able to test the links that exist between inflammatory bowel diseases with the consumption of drinking water.
But in addition to norovirus, plain water can also have parasites like Giardia or Cryptosporidium, all of which can cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhea, according to the Daily Mail.
The trials resulted in the link between contamination before the water entered city distribution systems, and the number of people who contracted an acute gastrointestinal illness every day. The results reveal that more than 10 studies show a link between water and the development of gastrointestinal pathology.
What is norovirus?
According to MedLine Plus, a group of related viruses is called norovirus, causing a disease called gastroenteritis, which causes inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
How is it spread?
In addition to acquiring the virus through contaminated water, it can also be spread through contaminated food or if a sick person is in contact with another. For children and the elderly, contagion can have serious consequences due to the risk of dehydration.
The most common symptoms of a Norovirus infection are:
Nausea and vomiting
It is important to call the doctor if a person vomits more than twice in an hour. Above all, it is important not to self-medicate, and wait for a professional to review it.
How is the treatment?
There are no medications to cure the condition, but what you must do is follow a diet specified by a medical professional and drink plenty of water. At first, it is drunk in small sips so that the stomach does not reject it. If the infected person vomits or has diarrhea, drinking bottled water or a safe source will become the best treatment.
In many cases, some people usually boil tap water in a pot for at least 5 minutes to kill all possible bacteria. Others choose bottled water from a safe company that is handled with strict safety standards.
Prevention is the key
In many cases, the viruses that cause gastroenteritis are very difficult to control. Because although a person could have been infected by drinking contaminated water, they can infect another person by being in contact with it.
That is why good hand hygiene, as well as all the containers where you prepare your meals, will be key to preventing the spread of the virus.
Norovirus is not only in water
In addition to spreading through water, according to the site of the US National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, norovirus can spread rapidly from person to person in closed places such as nursing homes, daycare centers, schools and cruise ships. They can also be a leading cause of outbreaks in restaurants and in food serving settings, if they are contaminated, for example by cutting vegetables on a board where you cut raw meat.
Protect yourself and your family from outbreaks of gastroenteritis. Remember to maintain healthy hygiene habits, consume filtered water, and go to restaurants where your good reputation for sanitation is known.