The mother ran to see her daughter and found her dwelling.
The 4-month-old girl, Emanuelle Calheiros Maciel, was going through the adjustment period at a nursery in Campinas, SP. The adaptation period would last only 2 hours. The mother dropped her off at the nursery around 1 pm and came back to pick her up at 3 in the afternoon.
The family registered a bulletin of occurrence in the Civil Police, in the bulletin “suspicious death” was registered. The Casinha do Saber School told G1 that “a case like this never happened in the nursery.”
An hour after dropping off her daughter Emanuelle at the nursery, the mother received a photo and a text message on her mobile that said: “Tia is making her sleep, okay, Mom.” In the image, one of the employees holds the girl.
When the mother came to the school to look for her daughter, one of the workers said to her: “Mom, she is sleeping a very deep sleep, is she?” She ran to see her daughter, but when she arrived she found the baby already purple.
They tried to resuscitate her, but it didn’t work.
Walking to the hospital
According to the girl’s uncle’s interview with G1, the nursery was unable to call an ambulance and the mother had to walk the baby to the hospital, which is two blocks from the nursery.
“The nursery didn’t do anything, it didn’t help at all, it didn’t make itself available at all, they just told people: ‘I’m worried about the name of the nursery being mentioned.
At the hospital, doctors tried everything, but he was already dead, ” has the man.
The uncle also says that he bought an anti-reflux pillow for the baby and that the mother gave the pillow to one of the employees of the nursery, but when they saw the crib, the pillow had not been used and the owner of the school does not know how to explain why.
The report of the IML (Medical Legal Institute)
The Medical Legal Institute of Campinas pointed out that the baby Emanuelle was a victim of suffocation due to food. They reported that a “massive aspiration for food occurred in the nursery.”
“The term” massive “indicates that the volume of the food was very large, there was total suffocation”, describes Edvaldo Mesias Barros, director of the Institute of Criminalistics (IC).
According to the uncle in an interview with G1, the school had informed the mother that the baby had not taken a bottle.
The nursery does not have an operating permit, according to the Campinas City Council. A prosecutor notified the nursery to deliver the regularization documentation. If the establishment does not present the documentation within 3 days, the nursery can be fined and intimidated into closing.
What is aspiration?
The aspiration is when the person inhales food, stomach acid or saliva to the lung. Aspiration can cause suffocation and pneumonia. The fluid or foreign mass may contain bacteria that can affect the lung.
The symptoms usually occur within 2 hours after inhalation:
- Noise when breathing
- Pain in the neck
- Skin disorders
- Night fevers
- Chronic cough
- Excessive salivation
What to do when the baby drowns?
BabyCenter reports some symptoms of drowning in babies:
- Bluish or purple skin
- Straining to breathe
- Undetectable or absent air intake movement
- Possible loss of consciousness
If your child is coughing or vomiting, let him cough. This is a sign that the airways are not completely blocked and is the most effective way to clear the airways.
If your baby drowns, the first thing to do is call 911 or the emergency number for the country where you live.
While you wait for attention, according to BabyCenter, you can:
Hold the baby leaning forward and pat his back 5 with your open hand.
Then place the baby on his back doing two chest compressions.
If the baby did not expel the object that caused the choking, repeat the operation.
Translated and adapted from its original version Baby 4 months morre no 1º dia em creche and IML reveals a sad cause of death.